Proposed Superintendent Contract
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING ON PROPOSED SUPERINTENDENT CONTRACT
In accordance with Indiana Code 20-26-5-4.3 and Indiana Code 5-3-1, notice is hereby given that Greater Clark County Schools will conduct a public hearing on January 25, 2022, at 6:00 p.m. at the Administration Building, 2112 Utica-Sellersburg Road, Jeffersonville, Indiana, at which time the Greater Clark County Board of School Trustees will consider, hear objections to and support for a proposed employment contract to be entered into between the Greater Clark County School Corporation and Superintendent Mark Laughner.
This notice along with the proposed amended contract will be posted on the Greater Clark County School’s website. After the hearing, the Board of School Trustees will consider the input and then it will consider the proposed contract amendments as an agenda item for consideration at a subsequent public board meeting.
A summary of the proposed employment contract is as follows:
- Term The Board desires to employ the Superintendent and the Superintendent agrees to be employed by the Board as the Superintendent and Chief Executive Officer of the Greater Clark County School Corporation for a period beginning July 1, 2021 and ending on June 30, 2024, subject to the terms of this Contract, unless extended or canceled pursuant to its terms or Indiana Statute.
Conditioned on receipt of an annual “effective” or “highly effective” performance evaluation rating as established by the Board evaluation, this Contract shall automatically extend/rollover for an additional school year, up to five (5) years beyond the original three (3) year term, unless the Board of School Trustees votes in an open meeting to not extend/rollover said contract on or before January 1st of each year, subject to the terms and conditions in this contract as further set forth herein. It shall be the duty of the Superintendent and the Board to make a reasonable effort to acknowledge this provision and remind each party of the existence of the rollover provision reference herein by December 1st of each year. The parties agree this shall result in a continuous three (3) year contract unless one (1) party provides timely written notice to the other.
- Salary Effective July 1, 2021, the Superintendent shall be paid an annual (July 1st – June 30th) base salary of one hundred seventy-five thousand dollars ($175,000.00). The base salary shall be paid in equal installments on the schedule fixed for all full time employees of the Greater Clark County School Corporation. Provided the Superintendent is evaluated as highly effective or effective and meets the leadership goals of the Board, the Superintendent shall be entitled to the same base salary increases and stipends received by other two hundred sixty (260) day administrators.
- Benefits Benefits for the Superintendent include:
- Annual Leave
The Superintendent shall be entitled to be absent from work without loss of compensation for a total of twelve (12) days each school year for the following purposes:
- Seven (7) days as sick leave
- Five (5) days as personal leave
- Use or retention of the days shall be in accordance with the Certified Administrators/Classified Directors Fringe Benefits document
- Accumulated Leave
Unused annual leave shall accumulate to a maximum of ninety (90) days. At such time as leave has accumulated to the maximum of ninety (90) days, the Superintendent shall be paid for unused annual leave above that amount at the end of each year, at the rate of one hundred twenty dollars ($120.00) per day.
The Superintendent shall be provided life insurance coverage in the amount of one hundred twenty thousand dollars ($120,000.00).
Lump Sum Severance – The Superintendent shall be eligible for a lump sum severance benefit at retirement in the amount of Twenty thousand dollars ($20,000.00) if he meets the following criteria: (a) attains age fifty-five (55) by no later than December 31st of the calendar year in which he retires; (b) has been employed ten (10) years; (c) whose age and years of continuous service when added together equal at least seventy (70); and, (d) has given proper written notification, on or before January 1st prior to separation of employment as of the following June 30th to the Board of School Trustees of his intent to retire.
Health Insurance Compensation
Effective January 1, 2022, the Board shall compensate the Superintendent with an amount equal to the annual cost of the Greater Clark County Schools’ group family Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plans, which the Superintendent may, but need not, elect to pay for the premiums of the School District’s group family Medical, Dental and Vision insurance plans. Effective January 1, 2022, the Board shall also compensate the Superintendent with an annual amount equal to the maximum allowable per IRS Health Savings Account guidelines for a family plan, which the Superintendent may, but need not, elect to be contributed to a Section 125 Health Savings Account. These amounts shall be paid to the Superintendent in approximately equal installments along with each pay check.
- In lieu of a corporation owned vehicle or mileage reimbursement being provided to the Superintendent, the Board shall compensate the Superintendent in the amount of seven thousand two hundred dollars ($7,200.00) per year for the use of his personal vehicle for business related purposes. This amount shall be paid to the Superintendent in approximately equal installments along with each pay check.
- The Superintendent shall be responsible for all business related gasoline usage, maintenance and repairs to his personal vehicle.
Cellular Telephone Allowance
The Superintendent is required and it is essential for the performance of the Superintendent’s duties to have a cell phone and cell phone service with both voicemail and email capacity. A cell phone allowance of One Thousand Two Hundred dollars ($1,200.00) will be paid to the Superintendent each year. This amount shall be paid to the Superintendent in approximately equal installments along with each pay check. The Superintendent agrees to keep the cell phone operational at all times for business purposes.
Professional Development and Memberships
- The Superintendent shall be allowed to participate in school-related professional memberships and the Board shall pay for the dues associated with said memberships in accordance with the school corporation’s approved budget.
- In order to improve the performance of the Superintendent and his professional development, the Superintendent shall attend professional conferences and/or seminars.
ISTRF Employee Contribution
In addition to the other considerations provided to the Superintendent by this Contract, the Board shall make any contribution to the Indiana State Teachers’ Retirement Fund that would otherwise be required to be paid by the Superintendent. All payments to the Superintendent are subject to federal income tax and the Superintendent’s contribution to the Indiana State Teachers’ Retirement Fund shall be included in the Superintendent’s salary for purposes of the Indiana State Teachers’ Retirement Fund calculations.
Long Term Disability
The Superintendent shall be entitled to LTD coverage in the same manner as is provided to Certified Administrative Staff.
Tax Sheltered Annuity
The Board agrees to compensate the Superintendent in the maximum amount allowed by IRS guidelines for a tax sheltered annuity annually during the term of this Contract, which the Superintendent may, but need not, elect to be contributed to a Board approved Section 403(b)/457(b) plan. This amount shall be paid to the Superintendent in approximately equal installments along with each pay check.
January 14, 2022 Board of School Trustees
Greater Clark County Schools