Greater Clark County School Corporation has been receiving many questions this year regarding the recent textbook rental and course fee invoices sent to parents/guardians. In Indiana, public schools are required to charge textbook rental and course fees, pursuant to Indiana code 20-26-12. We strive to keep costs at a minimum for our families; however, there were increases this year in some areas due to rising costs and new textbook adoptions. Please read the information below that we hope will answer your questions.
2021-2022 Textbook Fees Lists
Elementary: View Textbook Fees List Here
Middle: View Textbook Fees List Here
High School: View Textbook Fees List Here
Statements will be sent to parents/guardians in mid-September. If your family will need textbook payment assistance, please apply here: https://www.nlappscloud.com/.
- The Technology Fee offsets consumable digital licensing fees and infrastructure to operate technology.
- The Device Fee pays for rental of the individual student device as well as devices used during the school day that are not individually issued.
- If parents refuse the device, this does not qualify for a fee reduction due to the fees covering all day use of GCCS devices.
- Special needs students who are not issued devices are still charged the device fee that covers all day use of GCCS assistive technology devices.
- For 2020-2021, we increased the device fee for grades K-2 due to the increase in device purchases so all students would have an individually issued device; however, the full supply of devices have not arrived to GCCS due to the factory supply shortage. K-2 students without individually issued devices will have a prorated fee. The fee will be adjusted based upon the arrival of the devices to students.
- Materials included depends on the grade level or course the students are in. Materials include consumable materials such as materials that do not appear on school supply lists and are needed for teachers to conduct classes.
- Elementary and middle school fees include textbook rental, digital materials, workbooks and consumable fees as well as fees for specific music or Related Arts courses.
- High school fees include textbook rental, workbooks, digital materials, workbooks, consumable materials for specific classes, music, instrument rental, etc. Students who take specialized courses for college credit generally pay the cost of the college book through the college as these are not adopted on a six-year cycle.
Changing from all print over to digital materials takes time. Books are adopted on a six-year cycle. As materials “cycle off”, the committees look at the materials in digital format and those in print format and select the materials that best meet the needs of the class. In some instances materials may only be available in one format or may only be developmentally appropriate in a specific format. Just like at adult jobs, not everything is print or digital and students need to be adept at using materials in a variety of formats.
Teachers, parents and administrators look at the materials in digital format and those in print format and select the materials that best meet the needs of the class. In some instances materials may only be available in one format or may only be developmentally appropriate in a specific format. Just like at adult jobs, not everything is print or digital and students need to be adept at using materials in a variety of formats. Preparing students for their future requires us to provide access to learning materials in many formats.
As new materials are adopted they replace materials that were purchased six years prior. As with almost everything, costs rise over time. Replacing materials with others that are six years newer generally costs more. Committee members review prior costs, look at costs of possible new materials and make selections that balance the best academic materials with those that are acceptably priced.
The supply fees have been standard for many years to offset the cost of consumable supplies not included on the school supply list. These standard fees will be analyzed and updated for 2021-2022.
Fees are charged based upon the yearlong schedule. If schedules are changed for the second semester, accounts will be credited or charged accordingly.
The Course Fees section includes course supply fees (including theater scripts, sheet music, art supplies, etc.), textbook rental, ebook rentals, and online resources provided by publishing companies. Many courses only utilize an ebook. Some courses only have a course supply fee. If a course utilizes a hard copy textbook in addition to the ebook, parents may request access to a hard copy by contacting the school.
- Fees are charged based upon the yearlong schedule.If a mySchool Online student does not end up participating in a scheduled course, that student will be credited the course fee.
- If a mySchool Online student never receives a uniform or school issued course supplies, the student could receive a fee credit.
If your child loses or their textbook/Chromebook is damaged you will be charged the full replacement price of the book/device (regardless of your free and reduced status).